debatehere
You haven't logged in....Please log In ...If you are not a member don't be a lurker...Come and join us so that you can discuss,Debate share and enjoy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

debatehere
You haven't logged in....Please log In ...If you are not a member don't be a lurker...Come and join us so that you can discuss,Debate share and enjoy
debatehere
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
debatehere

All those who love debating and normal discussions..This is the place for you.You can debate here about paranormal topics to wide ranging family friendly topics in here.

Latest topics
» A 520 day Experiment
New Target for Moon Crasher. EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 2:16 am by PotterManiac

» Robots will rob alien centres...
New Target for Moon Crasher. EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 2:13 am by PotterManiac

» The 2012 Theory!
New Target for Moon Crasher. EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 2:07 am by PotterManiac

» Was the Zamora UFO incident a hoax ?
New Target for Moon Crasher. EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 1:52 am by PotterManiac

» Did we Land on the Moon?
New Target for Moon Crasher. EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 9:04 am by PotterManiac

» Thrilling Math question
New Target for Moon Crasher. EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 3:31 am by PotterManiac

» 112 with 17
New Target for Moon Crasher. EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 3:26 am by PotterManiac

» LHC MILESTONE
New Target for Moon Crasher. EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 11:33 am by Administrator

» Out of world sum for poor customer care
New Target for Moon Crasher. EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 3:10 am by PotterManiac

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 67 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:51 am

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Target for Moon Crasher.

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New Target for Moon Crasher. Empty New Target for Moon Crasher. Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:22 am

PotterManiac

PotterManiac

New Target for Moon Crasher. Capt.photo_1253781170878-1-0

A NASA spacecraft destined to crash into a moon crater in the hunt for hidden caches of water ice has a new target, the space agency announced Monday.
The decision means that NASA's LCROSS probe and its spent Centaur rocket stage will now crash into the large crater Cabeus, and not the nearby (and smaller) Cabeus A crater previously targeted, when they slam into the moon on Oct. 9.
Scientists pulled the lunar switcheroo based on a continuing analysis of data from recent moon-watching spacecraft. The data suggests the new target Cabeus has the highest concentration of hydrogen - an indication of possible water ice - than anywhere else at the lunar south pole.
"The LCROSS team concluded that Cabeus provided the best chance for meeting its mission goals," mission managers said in a statement.
The news comes less than a week after scientists announced the discovery of water on the moon in the form of water molecules bound to the lunar dirt.
Cabeus is a large crater about 60 miles (98 km) in diameter that sits at 84.9 degrees south, 35.5 degrees west at the moon's south pole. It has two nearby satellite craters: the 25-mile (40-km) wide Cabeus A - LCROSS' original target - and Cabeus B, which is about 38 miles (61 km) in diameter.
A small valley etched into the otherwise tall crater ridge of Cabeus should allow sunlight to shine on the ejecta cloud kicked up when LCROSS and its Centaur rocket stage crash into the moon in successive impacts. The shadow of a large hill along the ridge should provide enough contrast for Earth-based measurements of the plume's composition, NASA officials added.
"During the last days of the mission, the LCROSS team will continue to refine the exact point of impact within Cabeus crater to avoid rough spots, and to maximize solar illumination of the debris plume and Earth observations," NASA officials said.
NASA's LCROSS probe - officially known as the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite - is actually a pair of vehicles headed for what maybe one of the most watched cosmic collisions in history. The mission is aimed at the permanently shadowed craters of the moon, where scientists think water ice may exist untouched by the sun's rays.
The $79 million mission launched in June along with NASA's powerful Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter as part of the agency's first new missions to explore the moon. Finding usable water ice on the moon would be a boon for future manned missions to the lunar south pole since it could be used as a resource to supply astronauts with drinking water, or be split into oxygen and hydrogen to create rocket fuel.
LCROSS and its spent Centaur rocket stage have been making sweeping orbits around the Earth as they fly ever-closer to impact day. The Centaur stage will crash into the target first, with LCROSS expected to fly through the resulting debris cloud before meeting its own demise a few minutes later.
Data beamed to Earth from LCROSS during the two impacts, as well as observations from a flotilla of spacecraft and telescopes on Earth and in space, will be recorded to determine whether the two vehicles kick up any water ice among the ejecta from their successive crashes.
LCROSS scientists have dedicated their mission to the memory of the late CBS anchorman Walter Cronkite.

Courtesy:
Yahoo! News

Thanks
PotterManiac

2New Target for Moon Crasher. Empty Re: New Target for Moon Crasher. Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:57 am

Administrator

Administrator
Admin
Admin

Now that ISRO said that they have found water NASA's arrogance convinced the President once again to crash land in moon with a bunch pf M3s

Thanks
Admin

https://debatehere.forumotion.com

3New Target for Moon Crasher. Empty Re: New Target for Moon Crasher. Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:30 am

PotterManiac

PotterManiac

NASA is the best in the world but the time isn't far away when ISRO takes over.

Thanks
PotterManiac

4New Target for Moon Crasher. Empty Re: New Target for Moon Crasher. Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:32 am

Administrator

Administrator
Admin
Admin

PotterManiac wrote:NASA is the best in the world but the time isn't far away when ISRO takes over.

Thanks
PotterManiac
I have contrary opinion....

Thanks
Admin

5New Target for Moon Crasher. Empty Re: New Target for Moon Crasher. Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:27 am

PotterManiac

PotterManiac

Very Good, I would love to hear it if its about doubt about ISRO being the best....but if its about Nasa being the best currently, then I am sorry, I might not be correct, who's the best currently?..

Thanks
PotterManiac

6New Target for Moon Crasher. Empty Re: New Target for Moon Crasher. Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:17 am

Administrator

Administrator
Admin
Admin

PotterManiac wrote:Very Good, I would love to hear it if its about doubt about ISRO being the best....but if its about Nasa being the best currently, then I am sorry, I might not be correct, who's the best currently?..

Thanks
PotterManiac
I dont belive anyone to be the best because each have their own capabilities

Thanks
Admin

7New Target for Moon Crasher. Empty Re: New Target for Moon Crasher. Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:34 am

PotterManiac

PotterManiac

Well, I believe capabilities should be put to test and thats where success matters. But if you actually ask me to choose between NASA or ISRO, I would opt for NASA, purely because Currently NASA is supporting the International Space Station and developing new Ares I and V launch vehicles. Look I am not trying to support any of them, but even though Chandrayaan 1 succeeded, loosing its control was something that shouldnt have happened. I know it might have completed most of its objectives but, still that shouldnt have happened. So, some defaults like that draws ISRO back from the race...but you gotta give them credit, and a lot, for getting developed in such a short time and being the host part of one of the greatest discovery in Astronomy...
This is just my opinion, I respect things both NASA and ISRO has done for the world of Astronomy

Thanks
Pottermaniac

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum